Sunday, August 8, 2010

One week in the hospital and a full recovery later

Hola gente....yes, I was in the hospital for a week. Turns out I caught maleria and dengue during my volunteer visit to El Paraiso. I had a headache and fever the first day, and a horrible fever and body aches the day I reported it. The lights had gone out so it took a while to get the blood results. The PC doctors wanted a second opinion so I ended up in the hospital the next morning in Teguz. Sure enough my white blood cells and paletes had dropped. I was on an iv and medication for about 5 days and finally my blood started stabalizing. I spent a TON of time watching English programming and reading (finished my book). All the nurses were very curious about me...I hardly fit in the bed and spent a lot of time alone. I started sharing about how I was in PC was just starting my service of 27 months. My host mom was great. She visited me several times and took me extra clothes, phone charger and snacks. She is great! We get along and have fun together. Besides her, the PC doctors visited almost daily and Ronaldo (my program trainer) came by on the weekend. The group made me a really cute card that was nice to decorate my room with. It was my first time in the hospital and I lucked out to have great facilities and staff. The doctor explained things in detail and stopped by often. Suggesting I enjoy the "playas Viera". =)

It did take a few days to regain my strength. I could only spend about 1/2 the day out and then ended up asleep the rest of the day. I tried climbing a hill and going inside a cave four days later and was exhausted. LOL Glad I made it up and inside the cave. That was a crazy experience. Bats and all.

Since then, I´ve found an independent project. I volunteer at a "centro basica" helping the 9th grade class in math. Wow do they need help. I had only a hand full that can subtract with borrowing, hardly anyone that can multiply or divide with two digits or more. Yeah! They are suppose to be working on algebra...we will get there!!! My goal is to work on the basics...enough to remember the steps. Then drill the algebra skills. It´s a hard task because honestly I doubt they have any number sense or understanding of math concepts. Sadly, this is the case with most students in most subjects. =|

Otherwise, my group and I headed out to Rio Dulce for our second visit....as unsuccessful as the first. Only 6 kids showed up and ended up breaking into the classrooms to get our the sports equipment and so we could hold our "charla" (workshop). They are a great bunch of kids and we would love to have more to work with. We posted posters all over the school in hopes of generating interest.

We also had our first dance session on Thursday...that was fun...everyone was a great sport and did their best. We had two days with a super volunteer...thanks Janet. She´s a retired teacher that spent her first term in the Dominican Republic building a school, teaching computers, and tutoring math/literacy. She extended her service and ended up in Honduras. She's in one of the most isolated locations. She uses a ton of creative ideas to teach students to read and works with the community to improve literacy skills. She receives a ton of support from friends/family back home receiving a package of goodies per week....hint hint. =D She helped us familiarize ourselves with TEAM the teach English methodology course for teachers. We practiced with each other and a group of 5th graders. Lots of fun working with these kids.

I started running again and have worked out a ton. My body still hurts. Yesterday we went running and then had an hour yoga session (thanks profe Melissa...you are impressive).

We "went out" Friday night...lol. Ended up at Old House restaurant and Cocodrilos bar early evening. That was a lot of fun. Some of us ended up at the park till curfew (literally...9pm) watching/playing basketball. Thanks equipo gringos. We spent most of yesterday out and about. I purchased a new skirt and had a helado with a friend. We ran into friends from Canta Rana (the municipal development training site). Ended the night with a piyamada (pj party) at Daniela´s place...that was cool too.

So yes, this is my life...I walk to INFOP (office/head quarters) early in the morning, have tutoring session with 2 groups of 20 9th graders for an hour each, head home for lunch, and have training session till 5 pm. The streets are lonely after 6pm so I end up home for dinner at 7pm. Most nights I watch a bit of novelas (soap operas) and head to my room to type in my journal or prep things for the next day.

Today I need to grade the rest of the diagnostics and generate some ideas for tomorrow´s lesson...assuming the teacher's strike is over and schools return to session. Yes, the teachers went on strike this past Thursday and Friday. Several thousands protest in Teguz. The govt is claiming they can´t afford to pay the high salaries and want to convert schools to centro basicos or possibly eliminate kinders. The war continues...

K, chicos/as until next time...please post any questions/doubts you may have.

1 comment: