Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Lesson plans are ready and my bags are packed! I'm ready.

My week of lesson planning and preparing for work was a huge success.  I'm planned through the midterm and found a ton of resources.  I still need to make the rotulos (posters) and models but I'm going to wait for when I am given the materials in early February.

I met with my counterpart and we presented a new action plan for our collaboration.  I'm very happy with his proposal.  He would like to see me get involved with the "senior" project to help promote workshops/events focused on leadership and community involvement.  Perfecto!

We also met with the school director to present him with this new plan.  Plus, we needed to ask for his help finding a physical education professor interested in attending a baseball training in the States.  Turns out the P.E. teacher was not interested.  Lucky for us, the director had served as the P.E. teacher for over 20 years.  He'll be attending the workshop where he'll learn the technical side of baseball in hopes of starting our own school teach to compete in the Annual National Peace Corps Baseball Tournament.  FUN!  

We also met with the representative from the school district.  We finalized the class details.  I will be teaching two groups of 30-40 upper elementary teachers in Comayagua.  She plans on getting us a really nice classroom...air conditioning and LCD projector/screen! 

I helped out with the tutor dinner at the CDI on Saturday.  Yanira and the kids cooked up a feast.  It turns out the pastor invited church members in hopes of generating their interest to become more involved with the CDI.  Yanira presented a PowerPoint presentation while the group and I served dinner.  We were really fancy!  LOL  They had appetizers at the table, soup to start, pasta salad/veggies/chicken for dinner, coffee & cupcakes for desert.  We all had a lot of fun...plus had a lot of great leftovers.  I jumped in several times during the presentation to emphasize some points.  The CDI is in huge need of adult volunteers to help supervise and manage some of the extra-curricular activities.  I'm considering inviting the students from the Normal to volunteer on Saturdays.  I have a huge list of students that are interested in learning about ways to volunteer and serve the community. =) 

I visited my host mom earlier this week.  We had coffee together...one of my favorites at her house.  Yanira also stopped by for breakfast.  I always have a great time at their house when I visit.  Plus I know that they love to have me over.  I'm going to make a bigger effort to visit them more regularly.  So far, I'm thinking Sunday afternoon for lunch.  I think it would be fun to take turns cooking.  My host mom loved the idea.  I'll have to work in a free sugar free deserts for don Porfis (my host dad).  

As I said earlier, I'm packed and ready for my visit to the States.  I leave this Friday and return Monday the 24th in time for our training workshop and Reconnect with the Youth Development group.  We'll all be back in our first site...Valle de Angeles.  It's so beautiful out there....so many reasons to look forward to this trip.  I am very excited to catch up with the H17-YD familia.  

Sorry no pictures for now...I'll add them soon, promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment