Friday, November 19, 2010

Busy last week of classes at ENCA

Happy Friday!  It’s raining it’s pouring ….the day was beautiful….clear sky & sunny (but not hot)…when all of a sudden it starts pouring.  It was actually really pretty for a while since it was raining and still very sunny. 

I had a great week and will have an even more exciting next week.  We had a super busy week at work .  The third year students had their big day of presentations of their proposals.  I helped the group working on English curriculum.  They had mentioned the preparations for the classroom but I never imagined to what extent they actually decorated.  Most groups had rented furniture, tablecloths, & curtains.  Plus they got us a gourmet lunch with wine.  It was outrageous.  Other groups brought in sofa sets and huge flower arrangements.  People are HUGE on presentation here. 

The profe and I continue to team teach.  It is very energizing the way we get to feed off of each others ideas.  It was the students last week of classes so vacation is around the corner.  They have exams next week….which, if you remember, means they only go for a half day..they will have two exams each day.   Unfortunately many of them will not pass…despite having a passing score of 60%..yes, you read correctly, students only need a 60% to pass….and you wouldn’t believe how many students fail.  Errk

On a very positive note, I helped prepare several students for a USAID SEED scholarship.  High achieving student from a low income household have a chance to be selected to earn their associates degree from Georgetown.  I’m keeping my fingers crossed for all of them.  Most of the students come from households that earn below the local minimum average and live in tiny communities….I would love to see that one of them get an opportunity like this….what a life changing experience. 

I held my session of Yo Merezco.  The girls impressed me with their abilities to express themselves.  Their education level is not on grade but they were very comfortable explaining their definitions.  I keep feeling odd when we bring up topics up like teen pregnancy since two of the girls are teen moms but the keep acting like nothings different so I do my best to get past it. 

My preparations for TEAM classes next year continued.  I wrote a proposal to seek support from the local NGOs focused on education.  The staff members from the local school district are leading this project.  They are very interested in the program’s success so I am expecting a great outcome. 

Bueno, I’m off to pack my bags…I’ll be in Teguz tomorrow to pick up mail and check out a horse fair.  We’ll be doing some sightseeing in the big city!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment