Sunday, November 14, 2010

I'm all settled in to my new place.  I really enjoy my time at the apt because I get to disconnect a bit from everything...my favorite disconnects include cooking dinner to the sounds of salsa music....watching a episodes of seinfeld......knitting or sewing to Brazilian sounds.  However, most of my evenings go by super fast....I get home around 4pm...go running at 5...make dinner and take a shower....I'm usually crashing out by 9....the exceptions are Thurs & Sun.






Victoria, another H17 youth development PCV, visited last Saturday from San Jose, La Paz...just hours away from the El Salvador border.  She brought her host sister and cousin to watch a movie as a gift for graduating from colegio (9th grade).  It was the girls first time at the movies.  We watched Legend of the Guardians.  You would be surprised on how different our movie experience was compared to the States.  For one, a huge crowd of teenagers sat in the back and was talking during most of the movie...several people answered their cellphones....people kept walking in and out.  Sea como sea (it is as it is)....the girls didn't notice and enjoyed the movie.  My taxi friend ended up hooking us up with free entrance to a discoteca.  We ended up going out dancing...another first for the girls...we only stayed a few hours but again we totally made the girls' night.  =)

At La Princesita...of course...mmm!

I was super busy last week...hence the lack of postings.  I held the presentation on the TEAM (English teaching & methodology) course to current teachers/NGO directors/school principals.  Everything turned out really great!!  The room was packed, everyone expressed a lot of interest, and we heard a ton of positive remarks.  Yay!  My late nights paid off....the best part about my hard work is that I was able to share the PPP & docs with other volunteers to hopefully help them get their plans going in the right direction.  
Full house, great facilities, plus we had tasty appetizers!
Getting the participants out of their chair =)
The Yo Merezco workshop this week was also a success.  The girls came through with their participation.  My favorite part about this week's session was seeing some of the quiet ones shine while they presented themselves to the group.  (Yes, your eyes do not fail you...that's a teen mom in the background...we actually have two teen moms participating.)  A co-worker from La Normal has been helping update/fix the computers.  He's also interested in helping with the computer course....the kids are going to love him...he's a great male role-model.  


I helped el Profe with his evening English class at the Instituto Hondureno Cultural Interamericano and met the owner of the Chinese restaurant Man Ying...the best in town.  She treated us to dinner.  It's crazy how things work out....so of course we went over this past Thurs when Anna visited.  She chatted with us a while and treated us to lunch....yum!  We're adopting her as our "tia".  

No comments:

Post a Comment