Sunday, October 24, 2010

Life is forever changing

I started Saturday in one emotional state...and ended the day in the exact opposite.  They are right about the Peace Corp Roller Coaster.....things change so often out here...and the least expected is what you usually get....so I do my best to deal with it....because as a friend wrote on his blog...life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. Who better to learn this lesson from than mi amigo Pedrito.

Pedro and his family lived in a shack over in one of the most caliente (dangerous) parts of town.  Last week, his dad gave his family (mom, grandma, younger brother, and two younger sisters) a small plot of land (dad doesn't live with them).  Turns out a group of people invaded public lands and "squatted" taking control of the property.  After some legal actions the squatters gain ownership.  So, there we have Pedrito and his family building a house out of scraps of wood, random objects, sheets of tin...on the inside you find two full size beds and not much else. Their stove is an empty barrel placed upside down with a hole cutout. Plus, it turns out the two teenage boys are the ones providing for the family.

Life is so amazing....when I needed some reassurance, I'm presented with Pedrito's uplifting story.  Something these "outrageous" situations are so "normal" for them...and yet for me they are a part of a completely other I am familiar with.  But just as Pedrito's family took what life presented them and did the best they could....I will remind myself to do the same.  Think positive.



1 comment:

  1. aww moni! stay positive!!! u can do this, we r all so proud of u!!! we miss u too!

    ReplyDelete