Friday, October 15, 2010

A new awakening...at Nuevo Amanecer!






Excellent teaching taking place at the bilingual escuela Nuevo Amanecer! It was an inspiring experience to watch those kids come alive in class. The school was started by a Nuestros Pequenos Hermanos volunteer from Switzerland twenty years ago. They started with a casa hogar (orphanage)..then added a school...eventually closed the casa hogar...and grew the school. Now they run a colegio (7th - 12th grades) and a bilingual school (pre-k - 4th). Walking through the facilities and watching those teachers in action gives me hope that working with our teachers can produce that level of quality in the students of Honduras. The school runs a dairy farm to help pay the bills. While I was touring the campus...(which btw I had already visited during training when we gave a HIV charla)....I ran into my Talanga host "niece".

I just got back from watching the 1st annual Colonial Comayagua Ballet Folklorico contest for the primary schools. The kids were too cute! Plus standing before the catedral to watch the show was amazing....! Not to mention they had a torrito de cohetes (bull of fireworks)...yes, I couldn't believe it!


No comments:

Post a Comment