Monday, October 18, 2010

One of Honduras' treasures....











I was fortunate to see one of Honduras beautiful tourist attractions....Pulhapenzak waterfalls...que tranquilo. The weather made for some amazing views of the mountains...I'll guess it was cloud forest because at one time the mountain tops disappeared. This also meant that we got to enjoy the sites to ourselves. The park itself is a bit small but the view of the waterfall is perfect. Beware of the slippery walkways...notice the different outfits...lol. We ended up jumping in the water despite the chilly weather...sure enough the water was ice cold! The drive was beautiful....surrounded by green, luscious mountains...passing little picturesque towns. We also drove around most of el Lago de Yojoa.

Driving through Honduras can make it tough given the extreme poverty most people live in. About 60% of the almost 8 million people in the country live below the poverty line....with 6/18 departamentos in extreme poverty. Given my placement, if I allow it, I can easily escape the realities of most Hondurans. I think this will be one of my challenges while serving since Comayagua is one of the most beautiful cities.

For example, today the US Embassy along with the Instituto Hondureno de Cultura Interamericana hosted a jazz concert in the central park....what an evening! Listened to great music all while facing the fairytale catedral and sipping my cappuccino. See what I mean about getting lost in this amazing city. I met some awesome contacts from the Embassy and hope to soon be collaborating with the IHCI to develop their English coursework and cultural events.

No comments:

Post a Comment